Tuesday 20 March 2012

Review: Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

                                       Half-Blood (Covenant, #1) 

                                        Half-Blood (Covenant #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Pages: 281 Publisher: Spencer Hill Press Release Date: October 18th 2011
Source: Bought Cover: 8/10

Goodreads:
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway.
 There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

My Review:
Half-Blood is amazing! I cannot believe I haven’t read anything by Jennifer Armentrout before!! She has such an amazing way of writing that keeps me hooked onto every word. I would go to stop and then I’d just say one more page, which soon turned into chapter after chapter. 

I can definitely see why many people compare Half-Blood to Vampire Academy, but that is a great thing! I love Vampire Academy and this is as amazing! Alex (a Half-Blood) is the main character and she is one badass heroine! She’s sarcastic, funny, stubborn and brave. I loved her! She has a crush on Aiden - the Pure Blood who are not supposed to mix with Half-Blood‘s (forbidden romance coming ;)!) There is a huuuuge amount of sexual tension between these two and it definitely heats up a bit! I love the banter that the two of them have together, it made me laugh out loud! 

I loved reading about Aiden too, he’s the perfect YA guy! He loves to read, he’s caring, kind and sexy ;) He can fight amazingly! He’s protective, loyal and a bit of a bad boy! :) He also helps teach Alex how to fight and he’s not like all the other Pure Bloods who think they are better than the Half’s. 

Seth is the other guy in the love triangle, a lot of people like him, but I prefer Aiden over Seth. Seth seems controlling and I just didn’t warm to him, I’ve heard in some reviews of Pure (the next book) that they actually like Seth more, so I’m definitely interested in finding out why! Some of the characters I didn’t like, Marcus for example. He seemed really false and he didn’t really care for Alex or what she’d been through. 

Half-Blood is packed full with action! In the very first chapter there is a fight and a struggle, which kept me on the edge of my seat and where we meet Aiden. I enjoyed the whole Greek mythology intertwined throughout. 

The plot was amazing, I didn’t know what was going to happen when I turned the page and this is probably why I read Half-Blood in a day! I needed to find out! There’s a major twist near the end and it’s really really really good! 

Half-Blood will leave you gasping for more all the way throughout. It’s filled with tension, comedy, hot scenes ;) and fantastic writing that will keep you hooked until the very last page! 

Overall, 5 out of 5 stars.



3 comments :

  1. Definitely to be on my TBR list! *adds* That's one additional book in the growing list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the similarities I could list off from the top of my head. Although Armentrout's writing is easy and flows nicely, I find it lacking descriptions to detail, such as not enough information is given about the world they live in, it's history, et cetera. I was also bothered by the fact that I recognized entire phrases and sentences from Vampire Academy in the book. Moreover, I find the romance a bit rushed, and the fact that the main character was supposed to be a flirt who has "kissed lots of boys" unbelievable given the small glimpse we get of her interactions with her peers. Overall, I found the book an enjoyable read that was constantly overshadowed by the vastly superior Vampire Academy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DAMN! I still haven't got round to getting this book! I know that this will be awesome! (Cause, duh, Jennifer Armentrout wrote it?)

    The characters sound really interesting. I've heard all about this Aiden and Seth business. Most people have been saying Seth but to see that someone is team Aiden is definitely reassuring. I want to love both guys!

    The cover for Pure is really really pretty and I can't wait to see if you like it. But I think I'll have to read this before I even glance at a review of Pure. Don't want to spoil the Covenant experience!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...