Monday 25 November 2013

Review: Everyday by David Levithan

Everyday by David Levithan  Each morning, A wakes up in a different body. There's never any warning about who it will be, but A is used to that. Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere. And that's fine - until A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply

Add to Goodreads: HERE






My Review:
‘Everyday’ by Levithan is a powerful thought-provoking read that left me hooked for hours. Levithan is fast becoming one of my favourite authors after I finished ‘The Lover’s Dictionary’ last year. He has a special way of writing that captivates you and leaves you longing for more. ‘Everyday’ did not fail to disappoint and left me thinking about the themes long after I’d finished reading it.

‘Everyday’ is written from the viewpoint of ‘A’ who is a genderless person. Some days ‘A’ will be a boy and others a girl. There was a huge variation of the type of teenager that he would become, from the spoilt nasty popular girl, to the massively overweight boy. It was unlike anything I’ve read before as normally I know whether the narrator is female or male, but this was different and I enjoyed how the contrasts could be massive from one day to the next. I enjoyed how Levithan didn’t just include heterosexual romance in this book as well, he opened it up and there was boys loving boys and girls who equally loved girls. I’m glad Levithan chose to include this as it made ‘Everyday’ feel more modern and up to date and it’s good to see an author not shy away from homosexuality, because love is love at the end of the day.

I really enjoyed ‘Everyday’ as you can probably guess. Each page that I read left me wanting more and more and it was a constant page turner. I was intrigued to find out who ‘A’ would be the next day and how he would work through his situation. I truly felt that with each character Levithan introduced, I understood the ins and outs of them, and that’s a difficult task with so many characters. 
The ending left me a bit disappointed I’ll admit. I still had questions that I wanted answers to and the ending didn’t tie these up for me, but maybe Levithan did this on purpose so the reader could make up their own mind and what happens after the events unfold. 

Overall, ‘Everyday’ is a book I would highly recommend. It looks at love and opens up relationships between teenagers in a unique and interesting way. If you want to read something that will captivate you then pick up ‘Everyday’ and you won’t regret it.

5 out of 5 stars.

2 comments :

  1. Great review! :) Glad you enjoyed it so much. I had picked this up from the library a few months ago and didn't get to it before it was due, hopefully I will get my hands on it again.

    Erin @ Let's Evaluate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I'm definitely agreeing with the "it’s good to see an author not shy away from homosexuality, because love is love at the end of the day." part. So true! And I'm so very glad that I have finally read this book! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...